Is this for you?!

This is for you, if you have the following: a sense of humor, understanding of sarcasm, if you aren't easily offended by what is reality in my world and if you like to follow someone else's life so you don't have to think about the pile of laundry, sink full of dirty dishes, overflowing trashcans, unkempt lawn, dusty surfaces and unswept floors at your own house! Oh, and if you can handle this girl referring to herself in the 3rd person...(see, not for everyone!) This is not for you if: you can't handle all of the above (and more). For those of you who can, welcome to my world friends! Enjoy!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Project...(WARNING: It's lengthy)

This is what I have been devoting every free moment to the last week:

Generally when I agree to do things, I get myself in over my head.  It's common practice in my world, and then I have to find a way out of said thing.  This time (once again) it invovled Biggest Sister and Big Sister and Halloween costumes.

Why, you might ask are we discussing Halloween costumes now?  Well, if there is one thing I learned from my mother about Halloween, it is that you DON'T want to be sewing the arms of a Power Ranger costume as a child is walking out the door.  Nor do you want to let your children see you cry in the process of constructing these costumes.  Both of which tend to happen with procrastination.  I can remember many o' Halloween eves that Big Jan spent burning the midnight oil to make sure that our costumes were ready to go for our school party or the actual Halloween trick or treating.  This is one mistake I don't make, I HATE being late and being rushed.  And I do like to look out for fabric sales. 


After over an hour and a half of back and forth over what exactly these 'Tangeled' dresses were suppose to look like (I've never seen the new Disney movie telling the story of Rapunzel, but I'm told it is very good) we had a workable drawing.  Google was no help as my search brought up several variations of the costume for dress up and on different dolls and what not, but they simply would not due, according to the girls.  They want the real thing...of course.  There is no pattern for this dress, but after making more than my fair share of Disney princess dresses, I was (not so much now that I know what is involved) willing to take on the challenge.  So, we drew it up and headed out shopping.
My VERY rough sketch...

The bulk of the dress is dark purple satin. We simply can't use an easy to work with fabric like cotton, oh no, no, it must be satin.  Satin is slippery and shimmery, and it frays, badly.   For those of you who don't know, it has been the bane of my existence in sewing princess dresses for the past 3 years. There is a small strip in the middle that is light purple, satin of course, because it frays (not really, but I think they are trying to sabotage me).  Then there is pink ribbon laced up the light purple satin and tied in a bow at the top, I think.  At least, that is what we discussed.

The top of bodice is also lined with lace, but only around the neckline, I think, at least that's what we discussed (are you seeing a pattern?).  We needed 2 separate, but coordinating pieces of lace to accomplish this look.  You simply can't have 2 inch lace to line the neck area, it's just too much. 

The eyelets

Back bodice with zipper

The skirt portion is about what I would consider 'tea length'-must be a British term, but it's not to the ground and it's not just below the knee. The skirt is 'flowy', the flowier (is that a word???) the better.  The girls must be able to 'twirl', that is a requirement.  The skirt also has lace trim at the bottom.  I chose cotton.  The girls did not have a choice in the matter.  Then there is the matter of the sleeves.

The sleeves have strips of pink in them. I opted for a quick fix, a wider version of the ribbon that will be used to lace up the bodice.  Plus this way, it won't fray...I hope.  Did I mention satin is slippery and shimmery and hard to work with?  Fraying, makes me crazy!  Ribbons are also satin, in general.  These costumes will require extra seam sewing, as in double the sewing time...BARF!

We got all of the fabric and notions including 2 colors of purple satin; purple lining for the bodice; 2 different, coordinating pieces of lace; a special border, with little eye's to lace up the bodice; zippers and 2 different sized, same colored, double sided ribbons.  All for the bargain price (with my coupons of course) of about $36 dollars for 2 costumes.  I had to subtract the batting and other little things I had to pick up for other projects while we were there.  There are similiar costumes for sale for about $40/ dress.  So I guess we're saving money(?)
The fabric and necessary notions to complete the project, x2.
And after a few hours, a little focus, a bit of neglecting Guyface (not really, but he was awfully whiny while I wasn't paying attention to him) and a visit from smallest sister to check sizing, ta-da!





Why do I put myself through this you say?  Well here is why.  First of all, my mom made ALL of our Halloween costumes (even when I was a dice, she painted a refrigerator box, or dirty laundry, she cut the bottom out of a laundry basket and tied rope on to it so I could hold it on my shoulders).  She made me a princess costume (before all the Disney pricesses took over), she made me a Miss America costume, a bride and many others.  I remember them all.  And I loved to play dress up in them after Halloween.   These are memories I will always take with me. 

The other reason is illustrated here.  This was Halloween the second year that I was around the girls.  This was pretty much how the previous year went as well... I am not trying to pick any fights, but I left after we visited with them before trick or treating, saying never again.

These beautiful girls deserve beautiful costumes and that is something I can do. I am going to make sure it happens.  And I have, ever since then, with the exception of Payton wanting to wear her Snow White dance costume last year. She did ask me to make her a Jasmine costume right before Halloween.  I respectfully declined, she'd made her decision in July when I asked and was still able to do something like that.  In October, there was no way I could do it, I had Guyface 11 days after Halloween.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have another dress to make...

No comments:

Post a Comment