Is this for you?!

This is for you, if you have the following: a sense of humor, understanding of sarcasm, if you aren't easily offended by what is reality in my world and if you like to follow someone else's life so you don't have to think about the pile of laundry, sink full of dirty dishes, overflowing trashcans, unkempt lawn, dusty surfaces and unswept floors at your own house! Oh, and if you can handle this girl referring to herself in the 3rd person...(see, not for everyone!) This is not for you if: you can't handle all of the above (and more). For those of you who can, welcome to my world friends! Enjoy!

Monday, September 5, 2011

A cooking day

We had a lovely late morning visit with a college friend of mine and her family.  It was great to get to catch up with her and see their almost six month old baby boy. We're glad they could make time for us on their long drive from Nebraska to Chicago.

Afterward, we stopped at Super Target (one of my all time favorite places besides the quilting and knitting stores). Brady stayed in the car with Guyface because he was napping (and there was something on ESPN radio that he wanted to hear...I don't pretend at all to think the reason had anything to do with the baby).

So, because I was on my own, I took my sweet time to grab the few things we'll need for the week.  I decided I should probably not let the 3 pounds of broccoli florets I had in the fridge go bad, so the only option with that much broccoli is broccoli cheese soup.  I made a HUGE batch.  Like a stock pot full.

And...I made the recipe up.  It was pretty good if I do say so myself.  My little brother and husband (Mr Picky Eater) agreed.  Here's what you need:

Broccoli Cheese Soup

1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of flour
A lot of broccoli florets
8 cups of milk
8 cups of chicken broth
1 tsp white pepper
2 cans of cream of celery soup
1.5 pounds of Velveeta (or some other type of processed cheese, shredded or cubed it so it melts in a reasonable time)
2.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups of shredded carrots-try a bot more coarse shred, but if you do, because to cook the shreds.  If you shred fine, they will cook with the soup.

Melt the butter at medium heat, add the flour after it's melted, whisk until thick.  Add chicken broth, milk and cream of celery soup and white pepper over medium heat.

While that is heating, boil water, add your broccoli to it, cook until cooked, but not falling apart.  Drain and set aside.  You would also want to cook your shredded carrots if you've shredded them coarsley.

Add Velveeta and shredded cheddar cheese to your soup stock stir until it's all melted.  Add broccoli and carrots. Serve when it's all warm.

I made this a like noon.

Then, for the evening meal (we skipped lunch after our late breakfast) we ate the soup, beer brats on the smoker and I made a batch of what I would call, 'candied apples'.  Brady likes them and I just happened to pick up some apples at the store today to make some baby food for my monster.

Here's how they went:  (beware, it's an exact science)

Candied Apples:

2-ish tablespoons butter (remember, butter makes everything better)
2 apples (I think I used Jonna Golds because they were what was on sale)
a heaping 1/3 cup of sugar (mostly because I use my 1/2 cup measure, to measure my dog's food each morning and night)
a (heavy) dash of nutmeg
probably a tablespoon (maybe more) of cinnamon

Peel, then slice apples fairly thin, but whatever you do, slice them all similar in size (this will keep cooking consistent).  Melt butter in a saute pan if you have it. [I found one in the racks behind our basement door just off our kitchen.  While I was using it, I was thinking, 'where have you been all my life?' Or at least since we got it for a wedding gift almost three years ago next month-if you don't have one of these pans, run out and get one, it makes a difference.  Trust me.]

So, melt the butter over medium heat.  While it is melting, mix the sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.  [I add nutmeg because when I used to sit on my granny's counter while we made pies, she always added nutmeg to her apple pie filling-she added Allspice too, but that is where I draw the line. My granny was famous for her pies.  I don't like pie, mostly because of the crust, but I do like apples, so I just took the important part of those lessons and serve it as a side dish.]

Oh right, back to the apples...  So put the apples in the sugar mix, coat them fully with the mixture.  Dump the apples in to your nifty saute pan on medium heat.  This part is important, if your mixture gets too hot and you aren't paying attention, your 'candy' will get burnt and it tastes nasty. So, pay attention and stir the apples frequently.

Don't step on you baby monster that worked his way in to the kitchen either...

What you're looking for is the apples to turn a cloudy translucent (oxymoron...I know) if you can imagine what that would be like.  It takes a while, so be patient 15-20 minutes, I think. Then enjoy!


What you'll need.  And yes, we do have 2 block of knives, I'm not willing to give my Foreshner's up and Brady won't put away his J.A. Henkles, so we have two.  He's such a stubborn ass! =)
Mix your dry goods and toss the apples in it.  I think a fork works best.
Add them to the heat, you'll get bubbles and liquid.

'I see you Mama...'

That is focus right there baby.  Go get 'em!


Determination...



I turned around from the stove to find this:  'I will eat your toes if you don't pay attention to me Mama!'

[Practicing my parenting skills:] Do as I say, not as I do...my apples were different sizes. You'll know they are done when most of the liquid has been absorbed and your baby is pulling on your pant leg and grunting at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment