Is this for you?!

This is for you, if you have the following: a sense of humor, understanding of sarcasm, if you aren't easily offended by what is reality in my world and if you like to follow someone else's life so you don't have to think about the pile of laundry, sink full of dirty dishes, overflowing trashcans, unkempt lawn, dusty surfaces and unswept floors at your own house! Oh, and if you can handle this girl referring to herself in the 3rd person...(see, not for everyone!) This is not for you if: you can't handle all of the above (and more). For those of you who can, welcome to my world friends! Enjoy!

Friday, September 16, 2011

Warm fuzzies and wonderful people

Today while I was off from work, I saw a Facebook post one of my 'friends'-who is probably, actually more of an acquaintance, and maybe always was.

To provide some background, I met this individual in college.  We were in the same sorority-I guess I should probably say 'are' because as I recall, being a member of a sorority is something you take with you to the grave...but anyway.  She was a nursing student, I was in agriculture.  Other than the sorority bringing us together, I'm not sure our paths would have crossed.

We served on an executive board in the sorority and I can recall at least one heated argument we had during a meeting in the 'date-room'.  I remember feeling bad after that, but I never would have said I was sorry at that point in my life, even if I knew I was wrong.  I should have, I know that now, now that I've had a few years to grow up and live life.

She and her husband live far away from their family (I think), she did end up becoming a nurse, I think she works with babies.  And her husband is a firefighter.  I don't know him that well, I vaguely remember him from 'date-parties'.  From what I have seen and what I keep up with on her Facebook page, I think that they may be some of the most selfless people (besides my mother-in-law of course) that I know-or am acquainted with.

Both of them are spending their lives helping people and saving lives.  And on top of that, they have recently been taking in foster children. I watched (more like stalked on Facebook) them take a little boy in, they took him out and about, they fed and clothed and played with him like he was their own.  Then the day came, where he had to go somewhere else.  I think a family member wanted him with them instead of these lovely people.  I read this on Facebook, and cried, and cried and cried and cried (are you getting the point?).  It wasn't even me and it was SO SAD to think about it. I can't imagine my little guy having to go away, and I know (again from Facebook) that it wasn't easy for them. 

I cannot imagine the strength it would take to be a foster parent.  It has really opened my eyes.  You hear horror stories of foster parents in the news, people only doing in for money, abuse, etc.  I can assure you, this little boy was (and is) loved more than most children in their own homes.  He could not have been placed with better people, who would care more about him than these people. 

It is so nice to know that I know (or I guess am acquaintances with) such wonderful people.  I hope they know what a great job they are doing and the impact they are going to have on this little guy (and future children).  They probably did more with the most recent baby they had than we did with Guyface in the first 4 months. 

Next week, they will get two more children and her post (and where I was getting to in my opening paragraph) was about needing things for the newest two.  Again, two at once, that is A LOT to take on with two full time careers.  Not that I can do much, but I decided that I would make 2 burp cloths and a 'taggie' blanket to send and I may or may not have picked up some 'Hot-Wheels' while I was out and about running my errands this afternoon as well.  Below is what I'm sending, the least I could do for such great people.  I hope that they have another great experience, and I hope it ends how they want it to end. 

I'm not real sure what the desired outcome is, if families that have foster children have them forever, or if they expect just a short time, I just don't know enough about how it works.  But whatever happens, I hope that it ends the way they want it to, they deserve happiness. 

Anyway, I needed to share that today, because I think she and her husband are very special and have (and are going to) impact countless children throughout their lives.  I think we just don't hear enough 'happy' stories about children in foster care. 



No comments:

Post a Comment